Watch Your Trap!

You probably thought this post was going to be about watching your mouth, didn't you? Actually, I want to talk about drain traps. Have you ever been around a drain trap that went dry because it wasn't used in a while?  Oh, the stench of the sewer gas that comes from that drain is unbearable! You see, that U-shaped trap is designed to fill up with water and create a seal so the sewer gases can't escape and get into your home. If you have a sink that isn't used often, you should run water occasionally to keep the water in that trap from evaporating and breaking the seal. And if you forget, you will be inundated with a smell that will very quickly remind you.

We have our own traps to keep full. We should be filling ourselves with the Living Water every moment of every day. The moment you allow that water to evaporate from your life, the stench of your sin is going to come seeping out.  We have to remember that on our own, we are unable to please God. It's only when we allow the Holy Spirit to fill us and lead us that we are able to live out a life that honors Him.

So watch your trap! Have an honest conversation with God and ask Him to show you areas of your life that are not pleasing to Him. Live out Psalm 139:23-24: "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Repent of anything He shows you and gain his glorious forgiveness. Then ask for a fresh filling of His Holy Spirit in your life. Don't allow that trap to go dry. Don't allow the stench of your sin to come back into your life.

Remember Jesus' promise in John 7:37-38: "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them." Drink deeply, my friend, and fill up that trap!

Comments

Popular Posts